Sunday, December 11, 2011

The 2nd in the series---Holiday Card, 2009

So continues the annual parade of holiday-cards-past, leading to the reveal of the 2011 masterpiece :) 

When we put together the 2009 card, Maya was 1.5 (and as adorable as ever).   Here's the card we mailed out that year, and it's story (the story is copied from a blog post last year, so if it sounds familiar, that's why). 

Last year we thought that we had come up with a great card. It was a pictoral representation of 2009, it made us laugh, and we thought it was clever. We didn't anticipate that it would prove to be possibly too clever. Have a look:

Front:
Sorry that's a little blurry.  I'm not technologically savvy enough to know how to clean it up.

Inside:

Get it?

To us, it made total sense. Spring = Maya is sad, Summer = Maya is sad, Fall = Maya is sad . . . but in the Winter, Maya is happy! Tie it all together with "It's the most wonderful time of the year" Christmas song quote, and we loved it. But then we had a few conversations that went like this:

Them: "Hey, we got your card! It was really cute. It was . . . interesting . . . you know, how you picked so many crying pictures."

Us: "Did you get it? Like with the whole 'it's the most wonderful time of the year' thing? You know, because the holiday season is fun, so she was only laughing in the winter?"

Them: (pause)  "Ohhhhhhhh . . . "

Us: (Sigh)

Oh well. We still think it was an excellent card :)

2 comments:

Alisa said...

Great card...and I got it! Sometimes I wonder if my humor is too unique for my friends and family, or maybe I'm just not funny??? I'll go with unique, after reading this :) Merry Christmas!

Cathy said...

I got it then and I get it now - and I thought then it was hilarious and still do.